ISO 27001 is the international standard which is recognised globally for managing risks to the security of information you hold. Certification to ISO 27001 allows you to prove to your clients and other stakeholders that you are managing the security of your information. ISO 27001 provides a set of standardised requirements for an Information Security Management System (ISMS). Not only does it demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of the variation of security that comes from undertaking the ISO course but it also reaps in many other benefits, such as:
- Winning new business and retaining your existing customers: Not only does ISO 27001 certification help you to demonstrate good security practices, thereby improving working relationships and retaining existing clients – it gives you a proven marketing edge against your competitors, putting you alongside the likes of Google, Microsoft and Verizon.
- Avoid the financial penalties and losses associated with data breaches: The average cost of a data breach is estimated at USD $3.79 million, according to IBM. ISO 27001 is the accepted global benchmark for the effective management of information assets, enabling organisations to avoid costly penalties due to non-compliance with data protection requirements and financial losses due to data breaches.
- Protect and enhance your reputation: Cyber-attacks are increasing in volume and strength daily, and the financial and reputational damage caused by an ineffectual information security posture can be fatal. Implementing an ISO 27001-certified ISMS helps to protect your organisation against such threats and demonstrates that you have taken the necessary steps to protect your business.
- Comply with business, legal, contractual and regulatory requirements: The Standard is designed to ensure the selection of adequate and proportionate security controls that help to protect information in line with increasingly rigid regulatory requirements such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the NIS Directive and other cyber security laws.
- Obtain an independent opinion about your security posture: Accredited certification to ISO 27001 involves undertaking regular reviews and internal audits of the ISMS to ensure the continual improvement of the ISMS. In addition, an external auditor will review the ISMS at specific intervals to establish whether the controls are working as intended. This independent assessment provides an expert opinion of whether the ISMS is functioning properly and provides the level of security needed to protect the organisation’s information.